The Uruguay international, who has won four La Liga titles and one Champions League since joining Barca in 2014, is reportedly tempted by the interest from David Becham’s expansion franchise but his wish is to continue where he is beyond his current deal, which expires in June 2021.
Sources told ESPN in November that Barca would be unsure what to do should the striker receive a concrete offer from Major League Soccer, and a few weeks later the the former Liverpool player said that a move to the U.S. was « a nice possibility. » The 33-year-old’s compatriot, Seattle Sounders player Nico Lodeiro, has also said in the past that Suarez « would like to play in the MLS. »
According to the Barcelona-based sports newspaper, while the initial offer received by Suarez is « important » in terms of MLS standards, it’s not as strong with respect to the European market.
Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu revealed last week that, depending on the number of games Suarez plays in the 2020-21 campaign, his contract will be automatically renewed until June 2022. Mundo Deportivo puts that figure at 60%.
Suarez, 33, has scored 196 goals for Barca across all competitions since arriving at the Camp Nou in 2014 and is the club’s third all-time goal scorer behind Cesar Rodriguez and Lionel Messi.
17.39 BST: Could Monterrey midfielder Jonathan Gonzalez be the next Mexico international to make the move north to Major League Soccer?
ESPN’s Taylor Twellman has heard that the American-born midfielder is on the radar of Atlanta United, who have yet to replace Darlington Nagbe in central midfield. The 21-year-old, who was at the centre of the tug-of-war between the U.S. and Mexico for his international services in 2018, has already made 100 appearances for Los Rayados and won a Liga MX title, a Copa MX title and the CONCACAF Champions League. No deal for Gonzalez appears imminent but this is one to keep an eye on in the coming months.
ESPN Mexico also adds that Atlanta are considering Chivas striker Erick ‘Cubo‘ Torres as a potential Josef Martinez replacement. Torres, 27, scored 36 goals in 93 MLS games between 2013-17.
16.55 BST: Man City are close to finalising a deal for Valencia winger Ferran Torres, sources tell ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
City will pay €23 million plus add-ons for the Spain Under-21 international, who will replace the recently sold Leroy Sane at the Etihad. The 20-year-old started 35 times over all competitions for Valencia this season, scoring six goals and laying on eight assists for Los Murcelagos.
Man City are expected to announce the Torres signing shortly, and then turn their attention to bolstering their wobbly defence.
16.02 BST: With Man United expected to sign Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund, the German club will likely be in need of a replacement.
Ex-Chelsea and current Sassuolo wide man Jeremie Boga and Lille’s Jonathan Ikone, are two potential targets, according to German outlet Bild. Boga, who has been the best dribbler in Serie A this season, is valued at over £20 million, while Ikone, 22, has accounted for seven goals and 17 assists over the past two seasons.
— Ronan Murphy (@swearimnotpaul) July 27, 2020
Boga, 23, has had a breakout season with 11 goals and four assists for Sassuolo and has also been linked with Everton, Napoli and AC Milan.
15.09 BST: There are two « concrete offers » on the table for Chelsea forward Willian, according to the Brazil international’s agent Kia Joorabchian.
Willian’s contract is out at the end of the season but Chelsea still have to play a FA Cup final against Arsenal and Bayern Munich in the Champions League.
Joorabchian told talkSPORT that Willian is also wanted in the MLS and by two clubs in Europe.
« I don’t think he’s done a u-turn or any kind of turn, » Joorabchain said when asked about his client’s future. « He’s always been very much the same mode.
« We had two very big offers — one from MLS which required him to move on July 1 — but he’s always been in the same mode, saying, ‘I want to finish the season at Chelsea and the day after the season has finished I will make my decision’.
« He has two concrete offers from Premier League clubs on the table, he has an MLS offer on the table which is very big, and he’s got two other offers in Europe
« So Willian is in a very good position and he is going to make his decision after the last game of the season. »
14.31 BST: Manchester United are losing interest in Jack Grealish as a deal for Borussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho looks more likely, according to Sky Sports.
While it is being widely reported that personal terms have been agreed with Sancho, United are still working out his transfer fee and the structure of those payments.
Dortmund reportedly want in the region of €120m for the England international and Aston Villa’s survival means that Grealish’s price tag will also remain high.
Sky Sports are reporting it could cost as much as €80m to lure Grealish away from the club after they survived relegation on the final day of the season.
While United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a fan of Grealish, there are doubts around the club about where he would fit into the squad.
13.56 BST: Manchester United’s Alexis Sanchez will need to take a pay cut if he wants to stay with Inter Milan, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
United had agreed a short-term extension to Sanchez’s contract to allow him to stay until the end of the Serie A season after it was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, the club are not interested in another short-term extension and would prefer to sell the player.
Inter are interested in a deal but Sanchez’s £400,000-a-week contract is a sticking point.
13.18 BST: Chelsea and England forward Bethany England has signed a new four-year extension, the London club announced on Wednesday.
England finished as Chelsea’s top scorer with 21 goals in 24 matches and helped them to a FA Women’s Super League (WSL) title and the Continental Cup.
The 26-year-old won the WSL Player of the Season award, beating off competition from the league’s top scorer Arsenal’s Vivianne Miedema.
« It’s means a lot to me, especially being at such a great club that Chelsea is, » England said. « I’ve spent a lot of time here already, so being able to extend that and hopefully kick on with what I’ve already achieved at this club is exciting.
« I’ve got my first silverware in the bank with the Conti Cup and the league so I’m now hoping to get many more trophies at this club and obviously the Champions League is one that we’re really pushing for.
« I’m excited we’re back in it, I’m definitely going for my first Champions League goal as I’ve not had one of them yet. Hopefully this is going to be the year that we do bring that trophy home. »
12.43 BST: A host of European top clubs including Chelsea are considering making a move for Germany defender Matthias Ginter, kicker are reporting.
The 26-year-old is Borussia Monchengladbach’s defensive leader and plays a prominent role in Germany manager Joachim Low’s plans for next year’s European Championship.
Under contract at the Borussia Park until 2021 with an option for another year, Gladbach sporting executive Max Eberl made it clear in an interview with local outlet Westdeutsche Zeitung they will not sell any « cornerstones » from the team which qualified for the 2020-21 Champions League season.
La Liga outfit Atletico Madrid and Serie A club Inter Milan are also reportedly interested in Ginter, a 2014 World Cup winner with Germany, and the latter have the financial backing to offer the defender a salary close to €10m.
12.08 BST: Paris Saint-Germain have reportedly made contact with Hertha Berlin over a potential transfer of attacker Matheus Cunha, 21, according to Sport Bild.
The Brazil international has been one of the stars of the Bundesliga Ruckrunde in the second half of the season.
He announced himself on the Bundesliga stage for Hertha Berlin — the club he joined in a €18m transfer in January — with five goals and two assists. However, he only made nine starts because of a concussion picked up following the restart of the league in mid-May.
Hertha Berlin, with the financial backing of investor Lars Windhorst, do not have to sell Cunha but after being approached by PSG over a potential transfer, the German club have attached a €50m price tag on him.
11.36 BST: Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte has said it would be easier to move Milan’s cathedral than bring Barcelona captain Lionel Messi to his club.
Luring Messi to the San Siro has been a dream for Inter but Conte has brushed aside speculation that Messi could play for the Italian side.
Messi has yet to sign a contract extension with Barca with his current deal ending in June 2021.
Asked about the possibility to see the Argentina superstar at Inter one day, Conte told Sky Italia: « It’s much easier to move the Duomo than to bring Messi to Inter. To buy Messi or buy four €50m players? I think both solutions are impossible, right now I keep all the players who are giving me a lot of satisfaction and giving their all. Then at the end of the season we will evaluate. »
11.04 BST: Bayern Munich have put a €30m price tag on midfielder Thiago Alcantara, 29, Sport Bild reports.
Under contract until 2021, the midfield maestro has been linked with a switch to Premier League champions Liverpool after contract negotiations at the Allianz Arena broke down.
Bayern insisted in the past they would not allow the former Barcelona player to make a move for a fee below €40m.
But with planning for the 2020-21 season in full swing, the Bundesliga champions are hoping for certainty one way or the other to return to the transfer market in time if need be.
10.28 BST: Barcelona midfielder Arturo Vidal has said he is surprised his friend and former Bayern Munich teammate James Rodriguez is not a starter at Real Madrid.
The Colombia winger has scored one goal in 14 games since returning to Real Madrid after spending two successful seasons on loan at Bayern.
Rodriguez is expected to leave Madrid this summer, one year before his contract expires, and is a reported target of Manchester United.
« James has a very high level to easily play as a starter in that team, » Vidal told Win Sports TV.
« I don’t know why it [the opportunity to start] hasn’t been given to him, why it hasn’t happened this year. He has a problem with the coach and that is a bother. He wants to play and enjoy football. He prepares every day to be the best. He wants to play and enjoy football. I hope he takes the best decision and he can start to play. »
09.59 BST: Contract negotiations between David Alaba‘s representatives and Bayern Munich have been on ice for a month, according to SportBild.
The Austrian international’s agent, Pini Zahavi, has reportedly demanded an annual salary of €20m, leading to the talks to break down in late June.
Bayern Munich sporting executive Hasan Salihamidzic, 43, felt those demands were inappropriate and left the talks with unfinished business. With talks on hold, Zahavi reportedly threatened Bayern his client could leave on a free transfer in 2021, when his current deal expires.
Zahavi, who brokered Neymar’s record deal from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain, has reportedly time and time again brought up the idea of his client leaving for Manchester City or PSG. Both clubs have yet to make an offer for an eventual deal this summer.
09.33 BST: AC Milan have made their first approach to renew the contracts of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Gianluigi Donnarumma, according to Sky Italia.
Club executives reportedly spoke to agent Mino Raiola, who represents the two players, in the last 24 hours to begin talks.
Raiola expects to receive an official offer from the club for the Swedish forward and the Italian goalkeeper to see if the basis is there for the two players to continue at the club.
Ibrahimovic , 38, has scored seven goals and set up four more in 16 league appearances since joining from LA Galaxy, is tied to Milan for the remainder of the season. The Swedish forward has an option to extend his stay until June 2021.
Milan want to keep Gianluigi Donnarumma beyond his current contract which expires in June 2021. The Italy international is a reported target of Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea. Donnarumma, 21, has made 34 starts for Milan this season.
08.57 BST: Valencia winger Ferran Torres tops Manchester City’s summer wanted list, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
Torres is keen on a move to the Etihad Stadium and Valencia are resigned to losing the 20-year-old, who has entered the final year of his contract.
The Spain under-21 winger is valued at around £40m and sources close to the player expect a decision on his future to be made in August.
City have already sold winger Leroy Sane to Bayern Munich and although manager Pep Guardiola has never said publicly he wants a direct replacement, there is a gap in his squad.
ESPN FC’s Rob Dawson says Manchester City are looking at a fee around £40M to secure Valencia’s Ferran Torres.
08.29 BST: Chelsea’s new signing Timo Werner has said that manager Frank Lampard was the key reason for his switch from Bundesliga side RB Leipzig.
The German striker agreed a €50m ($58.63m) move to Stamford Bridge last month and has already started training with the Premier League club even though he is not eligible to play until next season.
Werner, 24, made the move after helping Leipzig finish third in the Bundesliga with 28 goals and said his discussions with Lampard over how he would fit into the Chelsea side convinced him to sign for the Premier League club.
« He [Lampard] was the main point. We talked a lot about things like system, like how he wants to play and sees me playing, and how the system fits to me, » Werner told the club website.
« He’s a really nice guy who not only told me what he wants from me as a player because he wants to help me. »
08.00 BST: Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo expects Chelsea reported target Jan Oblak to remain at the club next season.
Cerezo believes Oblak is « the best goalkeeper in the world » and is not surprised that top European clubs are interested in the Slovenia international.
Diario AS recently reported that Chelsea are prepared to offer €100m to acquire Oblak, who is a top priority for coach Frank Lampard this summer.
« It’s not strange that he has offers from other great teams as Atletico is, » Cerezo told Marca. « Oblak has a contract, he is an Atletico player, full stop. Oblak is a magnificent player and in his position, there is undoubtedly no one that surpasses him right now. He is the best goalkeeper in the world. »
Oblak, 27, is in his sixth season at Atletico and gave away 26 goals in 36 league games for Atletico this season. He finished second behind Real Madrid’s Thibaut Courtois as the goalkeeper who conceded the fewest times in La Liga.
« I respect [Thibaut] Courtois, he is another great goalkeeper that is around and fortunately, the two of them have worn our jersey and with the two of them we have been won trophies, » Cerezo said. « Speaking as a fan, for me Oblak is the best goalkeeper in the world. »
Chelsea are reportedly in the market for an experienced goalkeeper with Kepa Arrizabalaga having failed to shine at Stamford Bridge since becoming the world’s most expensive goalkeeper when Chelsea paid Athletic Bilbao his €80m release clause in the summer of 2018.
Oblak signed a new contract with Atletico last year that expires in June 2023 and his release clause increased from €100 to €120m.
PAPER TALK (James Capps): Mourinho mulls over move for Perisic
Calciomercato claims Tottenham Hotspur have emerged as a potential destination for Inter Milan outcast Ivan Perisic, with Spurs boss Jose Mourinho identifying the Croatian as a transfer target on Tuesday.
The 31-year-old has spent the season on loan at Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich, and with the Bavarians now looking increasingly unlikely to trigger the €20 million option to make the World Cup finalist’s deal permanent, Perisic now finds himself in limbo.
The report adds that Inter boss Antonio Conte is believed to be keen to move the player on.
Mourinho has been keeping a close eye on developments from afar, and with Spurs operating on a reduced transfer budget after missing out on qualification for next season’s Champions League, a cut-price deal for Perisic is likely to gather traction among the Tottenham hierarchy.
United and Roma’s Smalling talks at deadlock
Reports at Corriere dello Sport claim that a deal that would see Manchester United defender Chris Smalling remain at Roma is still yet to be agreed, despite talks to extend the Englishman’s stay beginning several weeks ago.
The 30-year-old has enjoyed a successful loan spell at the Stadio Olimpico after arriving in the Eternal City at the backend of last year’s summer transfer window, and the former Fulham man has so far made 28 appearances for Paulo Fonseca’s side.
United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would prefer to pursue a deal that would see the player depart Old Trafford on a permanent basis, as opposed to a fresh loan deal, but with the Giallorossi reportedly struggling to get the funds together to finance a full-time transfer for the 31-cap England international, talks could be set to stall.
Milenkovic on the move to Milan
AC Milan are planning for another busy transfer window as they look to end their six-year Champions League exile, and Gazzetta dello Sport says the Rossoneri are keeping tabs on Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic.
The 22-year-old has seen his market value shoot up following a string of impressive performances in Serie A since signing from Partizan Belgrade for just over €5m in 2017. However, with La Viola languishing in mid-table with no chance of qualification for European football next season, the Serbian’s agent is believed to be in talks with Milan chiefs about a possible move to the San Siro.
A move for Milenkovic is unlikely to be a cheap one, however, with the defender’s contract in Florence lasting until at least 2022, but that’s unlikely to put off Milan boss Stefano Pioli as he plans major changes to his playing ranks ahead of a tilt at the top four in Italy’s top flight.
– Mexican midfielder Eugenio Pizzuto is closing in on a move to Ligue 1 club Lille and is set to take a medical at the club, according to Gianluca Di Marzio. Pizzuto had run down his contract at Pachuca. The San Luis Potosi native debuted in Liga MX last January but suffered a fracture in his leg during his first game. Pizzuto hasn’t played since, but the 18-year-old led Mexico to the final of the Under-17 World Cup last year and is considered one of the country’s brightest young talents.
– Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder is preparing a bid to bring former Blade Aaron Ramsdale back to Bramall Lane from relegated Bournemouth, according to reports at The Sun. The 22-year-old goalkeeper swapped south Yorkshire for the south coast three years ago for around £1m, and reports claim it could take up to 15 times that amount to bring him back north.
– Sport reports a trio of La Liga clubs are in the race to sign Barcelona starlet Monchu. The 20-year-old midfielder has been a standout performer in the Barcelona « B » side this season, but with competition for first-team places intense, the youngster is set to depart, with Valencia, Real Sociedad and Real Betis all reportedly interested in getting a deal done.
– AEK Athens goalkeeper Vasilios Barkas has arrived in Glasgow for a medical at Scottish Premiership championships Celtic, according to the Daily Record. A £5.5m fee has been agreed between the two clubs, and the 26-year-old is set to sign a four-year contract with Neil Lennon’s side.